Ever heard of situations where someone had to defend themselves from a drug test result? Well, they exist. To know the best defense for a positive drug test, you have to, first of all, understand the concept of drug testing. Whether you’ve gone through it or not, everyone knows what a drug test is. Maybe not in terms of the scientific jargon, the enzymes involved, the testing equipment, and the step-by-step process. However, having a basic idea of drug screening and its applications are common knowledge. According to cleveland.org, a drug test requires a biological sample from your body (for example, your hair or urine) to determine the presence or absence of a drug or substance. Remember, if you used cannabis or something else even once a few weeks ago, there is a chance to be detected.
Our #1 Choice
Mega Clean + PreCleanse Pills
Some misconceptions about a drug test make it difficult to come up with the best defense for a false positive drug test. An example of such misconception is the belief that drug testing is designed to check if an illegal drug is in your system. However, that’s not entirely true. A drug test checks for drugs, whether they’re legal or illegal. It all depends on what you’re checking for. The common types of drug tests include;
- Urine tests (this is the most common type of drug testing used by employers)
- Hair follicle analysis
- Blood drug test
- Saliva drug test
Drug tests are conducted by laboratory scientists to check for the presence of drugs or substances such as;
Drug tests are becoming more prevalent as more companies are adopting a drug-free policy that entails zero tolerance for drug abuse by employees. So employers carry out scheduled and random drug tests on their employees to see if they’re adhering to this policy. Drug tests also apply to job applicants on the verge of getting employed. If a company has zero tolerance for drug abuse, a drug screen will be one of the final evaluation stages.
To avoid losing your employment or throwing away your chances of landing a job, you must know how to prepare for a drug test. If you have some time to prepare, cleanse your body, taking detox remedies inside. We highly recommend you boost detox pills with detox drinks to detox swiftly. A bit lower, you can see such products, Toxin Rid and Mega Clean.
Our #1 Choice
Mega Clean + PreCleanse Pills
How to Pass a Drug Test?
To prepare for and pass a drug test, you need a THC detox plan that has to factor in some considerations. The common factors include your body mass index, frequency and dosage of weed, budget, type of drug test, and testing date.
- Body Mass Index: This is a fancy way of describing your body weight. If you’re new to how drugs work, you may wonder how your body weight factors with a THC detox plan. Now, when weed metabolizes in the body, it leaves by-products (metabolites) in the body. THC stays longer in heavier individuals than those with less body weight. This is because these drug toxins hide in fatty tissues, which stay in the body longer. So, someone with a larger body mass index will need more time to detox than a smaller individual.
- Frequency and Dosage of Weed: This is common logic. The more drugs you take, the longer the duration of drugs in your system, and vice versa. The quantity of drugs in your system is influenced by two things – dosage and frequency. A very heavy weed smoker is one who smokes weed multiple times a day. This person may require about a week or more to detoxify his system. On the other hand, a light or moderate weed smoker that smokes about twice or thrice a week may need 1-3 days to cleanse his system.
- Budget: The depth of your pocket also determines how you prepare. If money is not an issue, we recommend purchasing the best detox products, such as Toxin Rid Pills or Detoxify Mega Clean Drink, for your THC detox plan. On the other hand, if your budget is low, you can opt for cheaper alternatives, such as homemade detox drinks or exercises to sweat the drug toxins out.
- Type of Drug Test: The type of drug test is one of the most important factors to consider in your THC detox plan. The reason is that there are different detox products for different drug tests. For instance, if you have a saliva drug test coming up, you’ll need a detox mouthwash. If it’s a urine test you’re preparing for, you’ll need a detox drink and pills. If it’s hair follicle analysis, the product to go for will be a detox hair shampoo.
- Testing Date: The date of your drug test determines how your detox plan should be structured as well as when to start detoxifying for the drug test. It also determines the solution to go for. If your urine test is due in a few days and you’re a light weed smoker, you can go for detox drinks or pills, as mentioned earlier. On the other hand, if you’re a heavy weed smoker and you have a urine test coming up in a few days, you don’t have enough time to detox your system. This is because you’ll need at least a week. In this case, the best solution will be high-quality fake urine products.
Best Defense for Positive Drug Test
What happens if you fail a drug test? There’s a high chance of losing your employment if you’re currently an employee. If you’re an applicant, you’ve thrown away your chances of gaining employment in that particular firm. On the other hand, if you’re an athlete, you may be handed a doping ban, among other sanctions. As disheartening as these outcomes sound, you must be prepared for a positive drug test result.
There are some ways how to explain failed drug test. This is important because sometimes, the fault may not be from your end. It could be a medication you took that caused your test result to show false positives (more on this later). The error can also come from the equipment used for the test due to poor or infrequent calibration. Some certain soft drinks and substances can have false positives on a drug test.
These are valid excuses you can give your employer if you fail a drug test. The best time to inform your employer is before the drug test takes place. If the drug test then turns out positive, at least they had a heads-up and will call for a confirmatory test to be carried out.
You can also inform your employer after the drug test and ensure you have a medical report from your doctor or dentist to make your case convincing. Employers, as well as lab scientists, are generally aware of false positives. In the event that your employer is not, it’s your duty to educate them about it. Your job is on the line.
Before you know how to dispute a positive drug test, you must know the medications and substances that can cause a false-positive drug test result.
What Medications Can Cause a False Positive Drug Test Result?
NSAIDs or Analgesics
NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. These medications are taken to treat and manage fever. They also alleviate pain and reduce inflammation in the body. They can be purchased over the counter without a prescription, making them easily accessible. Twelve grams of certain NSAIDs such as Naproxen or Ibuprofen in your body system can mess with the drug testing enzyme and result in false positives for barbiturates or THC screen.
If you’re suffering from clinical depression, anxiety disorders, and chronic pain conditions, antidepressants are the medications that will be prescribed to you. They’re not easily accessible because you can’t get them over the counter. They can only be accessed via prescription. These drugs influence how your brain responds to the secretion of serotonin for your moods and emotions. Antidepressants contain an ingredient that’s also present in Amphetamines or LSD. This will explain why one will test positive for a drug screen for the above-mentioned substances. Popular examples of antidepressants;
Decongestants describe drugs that reduce inflammation, swelling, and the buildup of mucus around the eyes or nasal passages. They come in different forms – some are consumed by ingestion, while others are in the form of eye drops or sprayed on the nose to alleviate congestion. Decongestants generally contain a compound known as Sudafed, which is also in methamphetamines. When you go through a drug screen for amphetamines and methamphetamines with decongestants in your system, the outcome will be a false positive. Common examples include:
As the name implies, this medication is prescribed for those living with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. This drug contains an ingredient that’s present in THC or benzodiazepines. It answers what can cause a false positive drug test for THC.
Lidocaine or Novocaine
These are anesthetics commonly used by dentists when they’re about to carry out a painful procedure on their patients. They can be used by surgeons as well. These medications work by blocking the transmission of pain signals to the brain. These drugs are very similar in chemical composition to cocaine. Consequently, Novocaine or Lidocaine can cause false positives for a drug test that’s screening for cocaine.
In this case, you’ll need a dentist’s report as evidence that you’re not using cocaine, or you can inform the lab technician about your appointment with the dentist before the drug screen.
You can purchase these medications over the counter. They’re generally inexpensive. They are recommended for the treatment of the common cold, influenza, and allergic rhinitis. Antihistamines are used for short-term treatment of the infections mentioned above. Certain antihistamines contain Doxylamine, a compound also present in Opiates, PCP, or methadone. As a result, it will cause false positives in your drug test result if you’re testing for methadone, PCP, or Opiates. Popular examples of antihistamines;
- Unisom (Doxylamine)
These are very strong over-the-counter medications used for treating and curing bacterial infections. They work by inhibiting or stopping the growth of disease-causing bacteria in your body. They are recommended for the treatment of STIs and sinus infections. The consumption of a certain class of antibiotics, Quinolone antibiotics precisely, will cause false positives for an opiate drug screen. Such Antibiotics include;
Now, let’s check the substances that can cause a false positive on a drug test.
These are the oilseeds that you can extract from the opium poppy. Consuming them comes with certain health benefits for the body because they are rich in iron and enhance blood circulation. However, there’s a downside to consider. Can poppy seeds make you fail a drug test? Yes, it can. Even though these oilseeds are thoroughly cleaned before they’re packaged and sold, they still contain trace amounts of opiates.
Though the current benchmark for opiates is two mcg per ml, some labs still go by the old standard – 0.3 mcg per ml. Regular consumption of poppy seeds will make you test positive for an opiates drug screen.
This is short for cannabis oil, and it’s derived from cannabis stalk. This oil contains healing properties, and it’s commonly used by athletes, fitness trainers, and regular individuals to alleviate anxiety and acute pain. The chemical properties of this oil also make it perfect for improving your sleep. They can be consumed orally or topically. You can also consume them raw or via certain weight-loss supplements and drinks. These oils contain THC, and it will cause false positives for a drug screen testing for the same.
This may come as a surprise, but even this carbonated drink is not exempt from what can cause a false positive on a drug test. Tonic water contains dissolved quinine. This chemical compound is commonly present in malaria drugs, but you don’t know that quinine has a similar structure with a chemical compound in opiates. Regular consumption of tonic water will cause false positives for a drug screen for opiates.
How to Dispute a False Positive Drug Test Result?
It’s annoying when you get a failed drug test but did not smoke. However, you have to be prepared for this outcome by knowing how to dispute or defend yourself from a drug test to avoid what happens when you fail a drug test. Your job is on the line, and retaining it is the goal. Let’s share some tips on dispute a false positive drug test result.
- Do not despair: It sucks to fail a drug test, especially when you didn’t consume the drug or substance you tested positive for. However, despair has never solved a problem. All it does is put you in a helpless situation. Despair over a failed drug test is the default reaction if you don’t realize there’s something you can do about your situation. Learning about false positives is the first step to knowing what to do about your situation. It’s time to stop self-pity and swing into action.
- Demand for a re-test: This is the default response when you’re confident that you’re supposed to pass the drug screen. So, if you didn’t, something is definitely wrong, and of course, that’s not on you. It could either be false positives on your test result from the medications you’ve been taking or the state of the testing equipment used by the lab. Several employers are aware that the initial test may not be accurate, so a request for a confirmatory test won’t sound ridiculous to them, but there are cases where you’ll be dealing with a stubborn employer who may insist that the test result is correct. In this case, your best defense will be a medical report from your doctor/dentist or proof of prescription.
- Disclose substances you’ve taken that might have caused the result; Knowing what medications or substances can cause false positives on certain drug tests goes a long way in making your case. For instance, analgesics such as Ibuprofen cause false positives for THC or PCP drug screens. Substances such as poppy seeds can make you test positive for an opiate drug test, and CBD oil will cause false positives to show on a THC drug screen.
- Talk with your employer and try to explain it: Many people may balk at this because they are harsh and unapproachable. However, this shouldn’t stop you from making your case. The best time to talk to your employer is before the test, especially in places where drug tests are carried out randomly. If you’re on medications, you need to let them know about it. It will be helpful to know what drug the test will be checking for.
- Consult with a reputable substance abuse treatment specialist: You can do this for two reasons – to get a second opinion from another lab with the approval of your employer or to begin the first steps into managing your addiction to drugs. So we recommend seeking professional help, especially if it’s the latter.
- If the results were truly positive – fight your addiction: This is the same as the above point. If the confirmatory test turns out to be positive, ask your boss to be lenient with you. A suspension, in this case, maybe the outcome, and you can use your time off to fight your drug addiction.